This multi-use (horse/Cycle/walk) trail starts behind the old railway station near the beginning of the trail to the ‘Boyup Brook Billabong’ and shares the path with the Bicentennial Walk Trail along the way.
This trail starts behind the old railway station and shares the path with the Bicentennial Walk Trail along the Brook ’til it reaches the Flax mill precinct. Take the left fork and re-join the disused railway line. After passing the Flax mill, the path becomes a wide, open trail affording gorgeous panoramic views of farmland and the River flood plain.
Access and a shorter walk can be taken by starting from the big machinery storage shed at the end of the entrance drive into the Flax mill and Caravan Park. On the left, signs in the paddock will indicate the direction to the Bridle Trail. Turn right at the T junction and the old railway line leads to the Blackwood River and Skeleton Bridge. Please leave all shut gates shut behind you.
Skeleton Bridge opened on the 21 May 1912 and closed 3rd June 1982, has an 80 metre span and a 12 metre drop from its centre point. The name Skeleton Bridge is a local one and conjecture is that the reference is to the open sleeper pattern. It is also is referred to as ‘Skelly’ and ‘Skellows’ Bridge by some residents.
A gazebo provides shelter, detailed bridge information and a picnic table.
A scale model of the bridge, constructed by Robert Jamieson, is displayed in the CMCA Eco RV Park (formerly Flax mill Caravan Park). Locate the caravan park custodian or phone the Shire office during office ours on 9765 1200 to view.