Prepare to be captivated by the remarkable wildlife thriving in the Southern Forests and Valleys, one of the most biodiverse regions in the world.
With over 8000 species of flora and fauna, more than half of which are found nowhere else on the planet, this area stands as one of the most biodiverse in the world.
As you venture through the lush undergrowth, keep your eyes peeled for some of Australia’s rarest marsupials. The elusive numbat, with its distinctive striped appearance, might reveal itself among the trees. The chuditch, a lesser-known predator, may gracefully cross your path, displaying its nocturnal prowess. And if luck truly smiles upon you, catch a glimpse of the endearing quokka!
To fully immerse yourself in this wildlife wonderland, here are some suggested places where you can observe and, if fate permits, even interact with our treasured local inhabitants:
- Valley of the Giants: Wander through the towering ancient forests of the Valley of the Giants and encounter unique bird species, elusive reptiles, and perhaps a rare marsupial sighting.
- Warren National Park: Explore the hidden corners of Warren National Park, where the diverse range of habitats provides a sanctuary for an array of creatures, both big and small.
- Beedelup National Park: Stroll along the picturesque walking trails of Beedelup National Park, where you might encounter iconic marsupials amid the breathtaking landscapes.
- Big Brook Arboretum: A paradise for birdwatchers, Big Brook Arboretum offers a tranquil setting to spot a variety of bird species fluttering through the canopies.
- Pemberton Tramway: Embark on the Pemberton Tramway to not only enjoy the breathtaking scenery but also to have a chance encounter with some of the local wildlife that frequents the area.
- Donnelly River Village: Donnelly River Village is an idyllic spot to get up close and personal with friendly kangaroos and emus. Interact with these charming creatures as they roam freely through this picturesque village, creating unforgettable memories.
- Greenbushes Pool: A paradise for nature enthusiasts, Greenbushes Pool teems with abundant birdlife and marsupials. Keep your binoculars handy as you explore the area and spot a variety of colorful avian species and fascinating marsupials.
- Farm Stay Accommodation Providers: For a unique experience, choose farm stay accommodations that offer “animal feeding” experiences. Engage with farm animals, learn about rural life, and gain insights into the region’s agricultural heritage.
- Bridgetown & Greenbushes: Both Bridgetown and Greenbushes are haven’s for birdwatchers. Wander through the scenic landscapes and pristine forests to observe a diverse range of bird species in their natural habitats.
- River Banks: Explore the serene river banks of Nannup, Boyup Brook, and Bridgetown to encounter a symphony of frog calls. These waterways provide a lush habitat for various frog species, adding a harmonious touch to the region’s natural chorus.
- Healthy Waterways: Dive into the vibrant underwater world of the region’s healthy waterways. Spot fish, turtles, marron, and an array of fascinating macro-invertebrates that call these pristine waters home.
The Southern Forests and Valleys region promises an extraordinary wildlife experience that will leave you with cherished memories of these enchanting creatures in their thriving home.